Sunday, March 17, 2024

My Toolbox

 Over the last couple of months, I have purchased a lot of equipment to help me shoot this piece. The first is:


This fog machine (well, not the one in the picture, but I bought one). After doing some research, I found out that fog and haze (mostly haze but haze machines are so much more expensive) are used to create a dreamy atmosphere. That or a sense of tension, mystery, and concealment. For my film, I figures I needed all of those things and so, I bought a fog machine. It's one that works inside and I plan on testing it out as soon as my fuel for it arrives tomorrow. The amazon delivery got delayed twice and I would have been trying it out much earlier, but alas, I can't control some of these things. 

This sequence from The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2006-7 were great years for Westerns) utilizes haze/fog. It adds a layer of serenity but also tension. 

I also bought lighting equipment. I have two hard lights now. Although I considered buying more lighting equipment, I think I can rig a basic three point lighting system and figure out the rest afterward. Since I brought up lighting, I figured I might as well include some of my favorite examples of excellent lighting in films.


The beginning when Alex and his droogies appear as shadows


Vito looking at Sonny


Raise the Red Lantern
And of course, Suspiria


It's important to note some of my favorite lighting from films accentuate the colors on the screen. Lighting is very common, to the point that a well-lit shot to me, the viewer, feels as easy to do as breathing. But with colorful scenes from movies such as Raise the Red Lantern and Suspiria, the lighting is much more noticeable. I hope I can nail the colors like they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GfSjDOPHL2_YXczw-iR1h9_F59SZygBP?usp=drive_link https://www.instagram.com/thesoundbetweenusfilm/