Sunday, March 3, 2024

Characters, Settings to Actors, Locations

 Below is a list of characters and my intentions with them. 

Miller: Our protagonist! You may be wondering why I named him Miller. Well, honestly, it's because a long time ago, I was writing a story and it was semi auto-biographical too and I had named the main character Miller and it stuck with me ever since. If you want to know why I chose it then then I really couldn't answer, my brain from two and a half years ago was, in my opinion, wildly different so I can't rationalize much from what I did then. But anyway, this character is the son and he has a shaky relationship with his father. 

Young Miller: Our protagonist!-but younger. The film is about Miller looking back on his memories, the past playing right in front or behind the present. Miller is going to be present during all of the scenes which is why Young Miller is a distinct character in the screenplay. Young Miller is going to be noticeably more enthusiastic and happy-go-lucky than his grown up counterpart. 

Father: It's time to get to the nameless characters. His father is the thing he has to face in the story, both from his memories and in the current. In his memories, he sees his father as greatly caring and loving and in the present, he faces a much colder, much more reserved man. The conflict is reconciling his love with his apparent apathy. The father is a complex conglomeration of my father and many, many other Asian parents I've interacted with. 

Brother: Our protagonist's brother is an ambitious young man who wants to work in the film industry. It's through the Brother and Father's argument that the young Miller first starts to think that the family isn't as organized as he thought. But from a modern reaction, Miller sees it as a much more dynamic and nuanced interaction between a father who wants the best for his child and a child whose dreams are too big for his father—which is the same for Miller as well. The brother is central to the story not because he appears much in the film but because he is essentially a parallel to Miller and be a narrative elaboration to Miller's feelings and thoughts beyond just Miller's voice-over. 


I've found actors for all four characters. The one character that might be undoable is Young Miller because I'm trying to get my little cousin to play him. My little cousin is seven and can't act to save his life. Otherwise, the cast is set, and though one would expect me to play Miller, it might be too emotional of a role for me, so I'm going to set myself aside for the Brother instead, which is equally personal. 


This was the sight that inspired me, many months ago to film this. The only setting of the film is going to be the interior and exterior of the house. This is just one of the potential shots from the interior (when I ultimately shoot it, I'll rig up better lighting with a better color grade hopefully) and I feel confident in the potential for my house as the location. Plus, it will be so much more emotional for me, filming this story about my family in my house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GfSjDOPHL2_YXczw-iR1h9_F59SZygBP?usp=drive_link https://www.instagram.com/thesoundbetweenusfilm/