Sunday, March 26, 2023

First Editing

Ok, I'm an amateur editor but even an amateur editor can put together amateur footage. 

The screenshot below is of a scene that I haven't shown yet! But it is fully edited outside of dialogue (even the foley sounds are done) and is fully color graded (check out that weird S-curve). This particular frame that I decided to take a picture of was controversial amongst my actors, some of them told me the initial shot was too dark and you couldn't see anything so I played around with the curve until his face was visible but the scene was still dramatic, this particular frame is pretty important within the story and it's meant to portray him in a way that makes the audience question their allegiance to him as the main character.

Some funny foley tales are the peculiar patterns of my actors, within this scene, two people hug it out and one of them have a very strange rhythm to their claps. I had to sync up their claps to the foley sound and that was annoying, another actor decided to swirl a water around in his glass and that was also difficult to make noise for, especially because it's not meant to be heard yet it was necessary in my mind for the immersion. 

What you see here on Premiere is only half of the editing, I did most of the cuts and added in the foley in iMovie and wow the amount of storage that downloading all those audio files took. In any case, I actually had to do a lot of the editing while multitasking at my workplace which extended the time spent during my process from maybe two hours to the entire day. By the time I got home, I was just putting the finishing wraps on editing and that warped my perception for a while and I was in a rush to edit, but as I've gone on, I've gotten better and quicker and more knowledgeable. I can now edit much quicker and make things look the way I wanted them to look much more but most importantly, I've been able to shoot the scenes WITH the editing in mind, not just how it would look to a disembodied ghost on set. So that's been going great for me as well. 




 This is the final stretch, the culmination of a year, yet I don't find myself nervous or seeing this as a conclusion. This is just the beginning of my journey and though I know where I'm starting, I'm more enthused to think about where I could be going.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GfSjDOPHL2_YXczw-iR1h9_F59SZygBP?usp=drive_link https://www.instagram.com/thesoundbetweenusfilm/