Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Music Marketing Blog Post #2

 Looking back on the creation of the music video, I remember thinking that our group had an incredibly novel idea. Or maybe that it wasn't super novel but rather that our execution of it would be really good. And I was right! When we were shooting, I had my share of doubts about the lack of dynamic camera movement or just a general shortage of takes but the finished product was exciting and resembled a music video practically perfectly. My cousin had also taken this course in the last year and to my great surprise, when I was showing him my finished music video about a week ago, he told me, through laughter, about how his group also got Night Running for their song. 


What's more is that even the music videos themselves aren't too different with his also being about someone running from the police at night. It does devolve into...weird stuff though. I just thought that was a funny story.


Anyway, after we had finished the music video, we were definitely under the impression that the rest of the project would be easy. And while it was, we also could not afford to slack off because the presentation was bare boned and most of us had yet to even work on our slides yet. However, the enthusiasm was palpable. The person in charge of designing the merchandise messaged the rest of the group a LOT about updates with the graphic design and consistently asked for opinions and thoughts to which we responded positively each time. I'm glad we had someone who enjoyed graphic design in the group because that excitement definitely translated over into the presentation with an abundance of visual aid, something I thought most other groups were sorely lacking. 


The music video did induce a little panic in its editing stage. At first, we had a very optimistic expected date for the music video, about one day after filming, it would be done! But it wasn't. It wouldn't be done for a couple more days and THEN we had difficulty even putting in the presentation and with some classic miscommunication, a lot of things ended up getting messy and yeah, it was a bit disorganized. But we powered through it and it ended up being really good, as I said. 


The only thing left to figure out was how to present. One member spearheaded the discussion about how we should fragment our roles and the person who edited ended up presenting the least which was fair due to equalizing the workload. The other three members, me included, would have a select number of slides to present but then another bombshell was dropped on me. I had to fulfill three and a half minutes of presentation time. So, I furiously scribbled down on a couple of notecards and on the presentation day, I swear I knew my information and I honestly wasn't even nervous but as soon as I looked at my notecards for information, it just felt so much more comfortable then looking at the crowd of eyes staring at me. It's safe to say I bombed that part but the rest of my group hit it out of the park with the presentation. 


I learned a lot about proper filmmaking in this project. I know it wasn't supposed to be a project purely about the production process but it's what I got the most out of. Seeing my fellow students film instead of being the sole person behind the camera really opened my eyes, especially seeing how the finished product ended up. Clearly, I am a bit outmatched in technical ability or just having a natural eye for the camera so I'll just have to make up for it with really meticulous planning for the portfolio project. I'm glad this happened sooner rather than later and I can take these months to get up to par with where I think I should be at skill-wise! 


Overall, it was an enlightening experience and I think I speak for all of us, even though I don't need to since I'm sure everyone else agrees, that it was a very fun experience. Both creating the music video and making the brand of the artist, I've certainly taken a lot out of this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project Components

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GfSjDOPHL2_YXczw-iR1h9_F59SZygBP?usp=drive_link https://www.instagram.com/thesoundbetweenusfilm/